Your risk comes from a few sources:
- You will be competing with bots. Bots exist, and it is suspected that Blizzard doesn't ask, doesn't tell.
- Gathering is traditionally low gold/hour compared to other skills.
- Skinning, Herbalism, Mining are not traditional raiding skills, as they do not provide the best bonuses.
- The may be an oversupply of fish to as guilds attempt to obtain the guild reward of Seafood Magnifique Feast (10,000 pool fish caught).
Gathering skills advantages
- At the start of the expansion, there will be a huge demand for toons to get 525 skill needing large amounts of raw mats.
- Mining provides a Stamina boost.
- Skinning provides a Crit boost
- Herbalism not only provides a personal heal, but now also provides a haste boost.
- You and your party get XP when you gather a herb or mine a node (but not from skinning). At low levels at least, it is about twice the XP from killing a mob when you have a rested bonus.
- All toons can take fishing.
- Fishermen will have an advantage to get into some guilds.
- The fishing daily traditionally has the most lucrative reward of all the dailies in the form of vendor trash.
- Guilds to trying to get the 'Master Crafter' achievement with the reward of a Cloak of Coordination continue to maintain demand.
- Can generally be combined with daily quests to provide additional income.
- No significant financial expenses (a few copper for a skinning knife or pick axe don't matter, or a bit more for ongoing training)
Skinning happens. If you find yourself wanting a quick skill up, look for Hemet Nesingwary in Nagrand or Sholozar Basin, or Hemet Nesingwary Jnr in Stranglethorn vale.
Mining and Herbalism are worth looking at a guide for if you are struggling.
You will want a skill of about 5* your current level between toon levels 1-60, 375 at lvl 70, and 450 at level 80, and it maxes out at 525 at lvl 85.
This post is part of a series, where I talk about what professions you should take.
PS. This post has been re-entered as it was meant to appear after the 'setup' post, and some readers will have missed it due to the joys of blogger.