I set a myself a challenge to start at least 3 heroics, which I have done:
- 2 tanked & finished Vortex Pinacle, with the second run being much easier. Tip for 2nd boss : Dodging (or not) whirlwinds means success (or failure). Getting upwind means you succeed (or fail) more quickly.
- 1 tanked Deadmines run - called due to instance server restart after wiping on the first boat boss. There were other wipes while learning both trash and boss mechanics.
- 1 healed Stonecore run (first time healing a heroic). Called on Slabhide (second boss) due to time of night & struggling on boss.
We called Slabhide because of dying to avoidable damage, plus inefficient heals. As a disc priest I spent an aweful lot of time binding heal because I took to much damage. (Some players think they can play both tank & healer. Very different mindsets, and some players change gears very slowly. E.g. me)
For my next Slabhide healing run:
- Dogde boulders. I should have learned this on normal.
- Puddles have a dust cloud immediately before they appear. Move.
- A single pillar is not always enough to hide behind. There were times I was sure I was being hit from both sides of a pillar. I think the boss when this happened, but I am not sure.
- More AOE heals. I didn't use prayer of healing at all. I only used divine hymn once in multiple wipes. More renew.
Disc priest smites are a nice cheap heal replacement, and set you up for bigger heals when you need them.
Don't expect 'progression' instances to be gogogo, 15 minute runs. These are new and hard for people to do. The expectation that Farm Heroic = quick run is something to be left behind when we left Northrend. You will be able to quickly farm them again when your party has both Cata Dungeon Hero and raid gear. On that point, I am no longer joining heroic groups when thinking about heading to bed soon. Sunday - Wednesday nights I will not start a heroic after 9pm. Thursday nights I won't run heroics at all.
You don't need 3 Damage dealers. More than 1 tank is useful. More than 1 healer is useful. People are dying due to lack of knowledge, lack of CC and incorrect movement. Offtanking is a form of CC, whether it is done by a pet or player. Classes that dont have CC may still have interupts & stuns. High DPS is nice, and will make life easier, but does not make the difference between a Heroic completion and failure. Dodging fire does.
(PS. Glyphs became very interesting. Read Breevok's post. I have drafted 3 different posts, all trashed hours later. I have not gone away, just temporarily quiet)