This is about my 4th draft of this post. There are disavantages to being intimately involved in a profession. This draft has been published - whether it's ready or not.
This profession is yesterday's golden haired child. More gold caps have been made via inscription than via any other profession. It became flavour of the month. But now that young tanned 'hard body' is now old, flabby and is worried about skin cancer. That's OK, there's plenty of money left in it. I have made about 1/2 of all my gold with this profession.
- Will make gold from new toons.
- New toons have aboout 30 glyphs to learn - gotta catch em all.
- A long startup time to keep out competition
- Good gold making for levelling players
- Potential for huge markups
- A changing profession
- Too many players in the market, with very heavy competition on most glyphs
- Once a player has caught em all - very little left to sell
- A long startup time to keep you out
- If you want to sell it all, you may need 3 posting toons
- Time consuming (Edit )
On our server, there are several scribes that list every glyph above their threshold - with the only difference being the threshold. I have 3 'ideal' thresholds, from 0 profit for glyphs I am overstocked on, to a minimum 8g profit on 'best sellers'
Levelling scribes should do your research and read this post by Breevok. Also keep an eye out for cheaply priced herbs to mill and sell on the AH. One day Blackfallow Ink will be available and cheap enough to trade down (Jessia Sellors in Dalaran, not sure who else), but in the meantime you should check the AH for correct herbs/look for a herbalist.
For scribes, I do not consider that you are at 'maximum' level until you have completed all your research (Minor + Major + Books of Glyph Mastery), regardless of your skill level. When first entering the glyph market, look at the expensive glyphs on your AH; make + sell those.
As you get up in levels, consider novelty items like the off hands that turn you into wolves.
Start regularly crafting and selling your money making glyphs. For something different, mill herbs and sell them where milling is profitable. Be warned - the auction prices for pigments is inaccurate. No one buys pigments.
Max Level scribes should consider two more addons:
- Enhanced tradeskill window : Gnomeworks WowAce (Not yet on curse? You may need to manually install it)
- Queing making tool : KTQ curse or CurseForge
- Yet another auction poster : APM curse or Curseforge(or ZeroAuctions)
- Multiple toon/account inventory : Altoholic curse or Curseforge
You need to sell the most expensive glyphs that are on your server. This traditionally does not involve too many vendor taught recipees - but I am always surprised. As always - get all the recipees (Ackis Recipee List) and sell if it makes a profit.
Consider darkmoon cards. The pricing and manufacture of darkmoon cards requires it's own post, with a lot of gold made and lost on these. (For the record I left the darkmoon card market when other trinkets became relatively easily available)
Blizzard has other plans to give us goldmaking, but I am reserving judgement.
Theres gold in them inscription hills, but by the great goblin - you'll hafta to work for it.