What do I do to make gold when I have nothing to do to make gold? When I run out of things to mill/prospect/DE etc. When I'm waiting for things to sell on the AH when there is nothing else. Do you have any ideas? BS/JC/enchanting/alchemy/herb/mining. Running into this problem more and more as I run out of 4.2 stock, and its not efficient to buy raw mats off the AH.
I find the question useful, but Wes's advice - especially about holding your current prices ... curious.
There are a few forces at play :
- Firelands dailies:
- Massive cash injection causing inflation : Blizzard have inspired the masses to do dailies. Lets say 17g * 15 dailies * 7 days/week = approx 1800g/week/toon. Thats a lot of gold to be bringing into the economy as a whole. It will take a lot to soak that up. Soaking up surplus gold is what goblins do.
- Less levelling of alts. Questing and heroic running alts supply green and blue quality armor and weapons, which in turn are disenchanted into enchanting mats.
- Bot farming : Regardless of what your take on bot farming is, it is naive to think that 'that toon' that always lists thousands of herbs on the AH isn't a bot farmer. It's also naive to think that your competitors are not buying those same herbs. Bots create a fixed base supply of herbs and to a lesser degree ore and leather, regardless of demand. Over time, there is downward pressure on the price of herbs, ore and leather.
- Fireland trash runs. Uggg. Why deliberately clear trash and not fight bosses? Oh well. These supply nice BOE epic drops, that are then bought by wealthier toons - redirecting gold from goblins to less capable 'raiders'.
Level 80+ toons without skills? Get those tradeskills up. For lower risk, higher profit options, I suggest:
- Jewelcrafting : Prospecting, northrend epics and rares, and potentially even the northrend daily (~100g per dragon's eye from the token)
- Inscription : Milling, and research based glyphs. Some scribes (me) prefer to buy inks rather than grind their own.
- Enchanting : Disenchanting
- Alchemy : transmute master for northrend epic gems
Farming? Maybe. If you can stomach it. If all else fails, take up fishing. Volatile fire sell for 10g/pop and can be fished from pools. Also, you don't need a high fishing skill to fish from a pool either.
Of course, there is always first life.
You know it's a slow news day when bloggers are talking about other bloggers.