As a significant glyph seller on our server, I welcome the opportunity for players to learn every glyph. There will be a huge number of glyphs to be sold once the new glyph system is introduced. I expect to be selling more glyphs at the end of Cata than I am selling at the end of WoLK.
In a little more detail
From my reading the gold blogosphere, the consensus for glyphs is a spike in sales coming patch 4.0, with a slow death coming later.
I fully agree there will be a spike in sales. While I was not a glyph maker when Dual Spec was introduced, I expect that it will be at least twice the size of the Dual Spec boom.
- Players can learn all (roughly 30) glyphs for their classes (up from 12 for a dual spec player). I don't know if this is doubled by dual spec but I would guess not
- Players will be able to have 9 glyphs active up from 6. I assume that at least one of these glyph spots wont become active until level 85.
- Patch 4.0 is coming very very soon. While I have read 2 Nov as an WAG (wild donkey guess) for Cataclysm, I would expect 4.0 to drop a few weeks before that. (Based on a very faulty recollection of when WoLK dropped).
- You will not be able to use Jessica to turn Ink of the Sea to lesser inks. However, I don't know if that is 4.0 or Cata (assuming they hit on different dates).
- I feel that people have a lot more maxed level alts than they did when dual spec came out
- Players dont change glyphs unless they have to.
- Most toons have one role.That toon is Ranged, Mellee, Tank, Healer; PVE or PVP, most player. These toons don't change glyphs once they have bought them
- Some toons have a second role. This role is covered by dual spec. These toons don't change glyphs once they have bought them, but they do change specs.
- Cataclysm will introduce new glyphs at level 85, and possibly with new raids. This is pure supposition, but I would bet large amounts of gold that it's going to happen. Everyone will buy these new glyphs.
- Levelling toons buy glyphs. Instead of 6 (or 12) to buy, they now have 30.
- There is a whole new race to level. Most players will start by getting their 80('s) to 85. Once they have done this, they will level their Worgen/Goblin, meaning more levelling toons.
- If you have read this site and Breevok's, the death of glyph sales has already occured on our server. We have too many sellers and not enough buyers. However, I see an increase in glyph demand over the life of Cataclysm.
Breevok has written a mid-week review of his glyph sales. I will respond to his post when I set my pricing for next week, over the weekend.