What I am doing now

You are most likely here because you enjoy crafting. I have been reading up on some of the WoW issues regarding gold making, which make me realize that WoW is not the game for me.

If you want to play a game where gathering and crafting is the cornerstone of the economy, and are not faint of heart, I recommend EVE Online. EVE even has releases purely to support industry. You can play for free if you are good enough manufacturer or trader.

Be the builder in a villainous world.

My journey can be seen at http://foo-eve.blogspot.com.au

For a 21 day free trial, click here (Disclaimer: I do get a bonus if you become a paid subscriber)

11 February 2012

Successfully cursing

Last post, I had a problem with transferring addon settings between PC's; using the curse premium client.

I think I have solved my problem; and I tried a few different options.

Now, the addon settings (on my XP pc at least) are in C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\AccountId; with one folder per game account you have.  (Our household has 3 different WoW players, so many of the PC's have 3 different folders).

Also; both backing up and restoring WoW files are best done when not in WoW.

Option 1: Brute force and massive ignorance.  Zip up the WTF\Account\AccountId on the source machine; and mail it to yourself.  Mail often has a limit of 10MB; but my zipped up file comes to about 8M.  When restoring it; rename the existing AccountId, and unzip the mailed version.  This also works well with any file moving method; whether it is a thumb drive or an internet drop box.

Option 2, using the curse premium client.  I did something very similar to the above option, but also (for completness sake) moved the C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\Addons folder to one side as well, only keeping the addons that started with Blizzard_; then restored all the addons as well as their data files.  In reaility this is nearly the same as Option 1, but uses Curse as a dropbox.

2 comments:

  1. Personally, I use DropBox to move that around as I need to. If you're on a WoW capable internet connection, you should have no problem uploading 10-15 Mb and then downloading it on another computer. Takes the issue of compression and email out of the equation.

    It also allows me to keep a version of Firefox portable on hand with all of my bookmarks to WoW related sites just in case :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really fixed all my problems using Dropbox, it's the easiest most practical way, check it out in The Consortium.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the blog mostly being inactive and the only comments recently being anonymous spam; I have restricted comments to "Registered Users"; hat includes anything google recognises as an account (google, openId, wordpress etc). I am still (mostly) active on foo-eve.blogspot.com

Blogger comments supports basic html. You can make a link 'clicky' by <a href="http://yoursite/yourpage">yoursite/yourpage</a>

Disagreements are welcome - especially on speculative posts. I love a great disagreement.

I have a comment moderation policy (see the pages at the top)