Last week, there was a rush of comments regarding Cataclysm. Everything I saw about Starcraft was regarding hopes and fears for the game itself.
Now, news media is talking about Real Id, and not in a good way. Blizzard has chosen to spend the last 3 weeks before release of Starcraft defending compulsory real life names.
I just did a google 'news' search on Blizzard.
- 'WOW' players angry over plan to use real names
- Blizzard to Require Real Names to Be Used in Forums (Essentially a Blizzard Press Release)
- World of Warcraft maker to end anonymous forum logins. A row has erupted after Blizzard ...
- Associated Press: The upcoming change has upset many gamers who prize anonymity ....
- Blizzard Cracks Down On Anonymity In Official Forums
Looking at my unread bloglist, I find 18 posts out of 22 about the Real ID, with only 4 being about the game.
Blizzard is a big enough company to survive this. Talking online I have responses from "I quit too", to "Can I have your gold?".
Is this really the publicity that Blizzard wanted leading up to the launch of Starcraft?